Get your url shortener just in one click

Katy Perry II People can Change II

 Thank you, guys. A little back story. Shannon Woodward, one of my best friends … Alot of my best friends are here tonight because I love them and I’m obsessed with them,and I’m loyal. They’ve taught me pretty much everythingI know. Shannon, actually, I used to sleep on hercouch. I was couch-surfing on her couch and I usedto eat her frozen chicken tenders from Trader Joe’s. They were so good. Here is the thing about that woman, we’vekind of like raised each other. I’ll get into it in a second, but basicallyone time, I said, “I’m not a feminist because I don’t grow hair underneath myarms,” and stuff like that because I really didn’t understand what that meant. She lovingly pulled me aside as the strongwoman she is and great friend, and those are great friends, and she goes, “Hey, thisis what the word 'feminist' means.” I was like, “What? This whole time? I’m a feminist.” I love her so very much and I love all myfriends that teach me everything that I’ve learned today so thank you so much for thisincredible, humbling award.




I got to say there is no other community thathas done more to shape who I am today, and there is no other community that I believein more than you. This community here tonight has achieved moreprogress toward a more perfect union in a short amount of time as any group in our history. I stand with you and I know that we standtogether against discrimination whether it be in the LGBTQ community, or our Latino brothersand sisters, or the millions of Muslims in this country. I’m just a singer-songwriter, honestly. I speak my truths and I paint my fantasiesinto these little bite-size pop songs. For instance, I kissed a girl and I likedit. Truth be told: (a) I did more than that and… (b) how was I going to reconcile that with a gospel singing girl raised in youthgroups that were pro-conversion camps? What I did know is that I was curious andeven then I knew sexuality wasn’t as black and white as this dress. Honestly, I haven’t always gotten it right,but in 2008, when that song came out, I knew that I started a conversation that a lot ofthe world seemed curious enough to sing along to. Let’s take a trip down memory lane for onesecond. My first words were mama and dada, God andSatan. Right and wrong were taught to me on feltboards and of course through the glamorous Jan Crouch crying diamond teardrops everynight on that Vaseline-TBN television screen. Make some noise if you know who I’m talkingabout. When I was growing up, homosexuality was synonymouswith the word abomination and hell, a place of gnashing of teeth, continuous burning ofskin and probably Mike Pence’s ultimate guest list for a barbecue. No way, no way! I wanted the pearly gates and the unlimitedfro-yo toppings. Most of my unconscious adolescence, I prayedthe gay away at my Jesus camps, but then in the middle of it all, in a twist of events,I found my gift and my gift introduced me to people outside my bubble and my bubblestarted to burst. These people were nothing like who I had beentaught to fear. They were the most free, strong, kind andinclusive people I have ever met. They stimulated my mind and they filled myheart with joy and they freaking danced all the while doing it. These people are actually magic and they aremagic because they are living their truth. Oh my goddess, what a revelation ... and notthe last chapter of the bible. Suffice to say, it’s been a long road forme and I’m sure a long road for many of you out there. I know it doesn’t always feel safe to liveout who you are, but here’s the thing though, I would have not chosen a different road. Priceless lessons have been learned. The path of discovery has made me, has testedme and forever changed me. You don’t get to choose your family, butyou can choose your tribe. Many of the people I admire and trust, andwork with belong to the LGBTQ community. Without them, I’d be half of the personI am today. My life is rich in every capacity becauseof them. They are trusted allies that provide a safespace to fall, to not know it all and to make mistakes. These are the people I hold dear. See, I hope I stand here as real evidencefor all that no matter where you came from, it’s about where you are going and thatreal change, real evolution and real perception shift can happen if we open our minds andsoften our hearts. People can change. Believe me, it would have been easier justto stay the whipped cream tit, spring, poppy, light, fluffy, fun, anthems by the way ofanimal totem singing girl who was basically somewhat neutralist in a stance and just thoughtmore hugs could save the world. No way. No longer can I sit in silence. I have to stand for what I know is true andthat is equality and justice for all, period. That’s why the HRC is so important and Iam so grateful for them being on the front lines every day from civil union legislation,to repealing 'don’t ask, don’t tell', to getting rid of DOMA at the Supreme Courtwhich paved the way for marriage equality across the country and continuing to fightfor trans equality amongst all things. I don’t have to tell you that we have alot more to do. We have to create a safe space for us to askquestions of ourselves and others and to keep the conversation going because the loudestvoice in the room or on your TV set isn’t always right, but that little voice insideof you, pushing you to discover who you are is a trusted friend. None of us have the answers, or all of themat least, but it’s time to lead with empathy and grace and compassion now more than everto find the unity we need now. I’ll never cease to be a champion, an ally,a spotlight and a loving voice for all LGBTQ identifying people. Whatever your sexuality, your gender, yourpreferred pronouns, blossom to be, we all know it ain’t so black and white and I willcontinue to champion the people that have been a champion for me. Many friends and loved ones from the LGBTQfamily have raised me into the woman I am today and I want to dedicate this award toone of my greatest champions of my life, my manager, Bradford Elton Cobb III. I think it’s almost, like, 15 years becausehe believed in me before it all. Secretly paying my rent for years and bringingme leftovers from hamburger [inaudible 00:09:36]. He really did! I know we really connected on a soul levelthough because we came from the same upbringing where it was difficult to be our authenticselves. We had similar struggles breaking out of oursuppressive shelves but we kept inspiring each other, challenging each other and retiringour past frame of mind. We broke the cycle and now we’re livingour best most authentic lives. I love you, B. Cobb. There will be obstacles, but we all know everythinggood takes work, but we can’t let our past get in the way of our brilliant future. These days, I get an incomparable high fromfinally knowing myself and it feels more real than any story I was ever told on a felt board. It feels sparkly as fuck. Truth be told, I think a lot of that has todo with the magic that has rubbed off on me from all of you. Thank you so much. 
Share:

Sample Text

Copyright © All LinkShortener | Powered by Blogger Design by ronangelo | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com | Free Blogger Templates